You Wouldn’t Run a Business This Way. Here’s Why Dartmouth Does.
Dartmouth creates a world-class product.
- An ambitious learning environment to educate the most promising students to prepare them for a lifetime of learning and responsible leadership.
- A passionate quest for knowledge and perpetual exchange of information between 424 tenured and tenure-track faculty and undergraduates in an environment where original scholarship influences teaching, and where teaching is essential.
- An 7:1 student-faculty ratio, and more than one thousand undergraduates doing one-on-one research with an authority in their field.
Discounts the price by 50 percent.
- For everybody. Dartmouth charges $68,109 for undergraduate tuition, room, and board, even though it spends $135,823 per student per year.
Gives an additional discount for certain buyers.
- 49 percent of Dartmouth undergraduates received need-based financial aid from Dartmouth in fiscal year 2018.
- Average financial aid package in 2017-2018 was $47,383.
- Tuition is free to families earning less than $100,000 a year.
Then begs for money.
- Charitable gifts and endowment income underwrite 36 percent of the cost of a year at the College.
- Tuition, room, and board cover only 44 percent of the cost of a Dartmouth education.